CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Coming of age

Ruth celebrated her twelfth birthday yesterday. Intially, we planned a small birthday party with some of her close friends. But with the whole family down with cough and flu, we decided to keep the occasion low keyed, so it's a family affair only. I bought a cake and we had chicken dinner at one of the fast food outlets. After posing for a few photographs, the "party" was over. Ruth was quite disappointed as she was looking forward to receiving presents and having a jolly time, but she relented when hubby promised that her that she will have a party on her thirtheen birthday.

As I watch Ruth blow out the candles and cut her birthday cake, it suddenly dawned on me, that my baby is standing at the threshold of adolescence, growing and maturing into a young lady. Was it only yesterday that I held her little hands tightly in mine, guiding her little feet, lest she trip and fall down? But today, those hands and feet have grown strong and sturdy and I had to accept the inevitable fact that I had to let go of them one day, when she finds her rightful place in the world. As a parent, letting go is never easy.

But I thank God that she had been quite an obedient and sensible girl all these while, although occasionally she could be rather stubborn, no doubt, a chip off the old block. She is indeed, God's beautiful gift entrusted to us to love and cherish.

.

0 comments: