CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 2, 2010

A visit ...

All my life I have never visited a nursing home. Of course, I have seen pictures and read stories of those old, sick and infirmed folks who were put into the homes so that they can get better medical care and attention. And, also horror stories of the residents being murdered or poisoned for their money, etc, etc.

I had the opportunity to visit one such home today. With Christmas around the corner, our church women's fellowship group organized a visit to a private nursing home to share the Christmas message and sing carols. This is the first time that I had seen upclose and firsthand the residents of home, most of whom are elderly, infirmed and confined to their wheelchairs and beds. I was told that most of them are senile and suffering from dementia. Many would sit still for hours, staring vacantly into space.

The scene touched me deeply. I can imagine that once, maybe not too long ago, these folks were young, strong and able-bodied men and women. The ravages of time, old age and disease does not spare anyone. But they are well taken care of by the staff and workers of the home. Our sharing and spreading of Christmas cheer brought a brief respite and a message of hope. After all, Christmas is indeed a season of good tidings, joy, hope and love.

I also met the owner of the home, who to my surprise was also a Sarawakian from Sibu but married to an Australian.

0 comments: