CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I had eyes, but I could not see....


 This is a backdated post.

The incident happened about 4 months ago when I was still in Perth. I love to read, so visiting the Willetton Public Library every 2 weeks is a must. The library opens everyday except for Wednesdays and Sundays. There are quite a variety of reading materials for seniors, adults, teenagers, school children and even toddlers. No doubt, I enjoyed books by my favourite authors.

I was busy browsing through the shelves, looking for books that might interest me when I stumbled upon this handicapped lady. She had no hands and was manoeuvring around with her motorised wheelchair. A book in one of the upper shelf caught her attention and she asked me to take it down for her. I willingly obliged and tried to pass it to her. She asked me to put the book on her lap. At the moment, I felt foolish as I knew that she had no hands to receive it and yet I could not see pass her handicap. Somewhat, it did not register in my mind to be more sensitive and discerning to her "problem". It was a real eye-opener. From that moment, I resolved that I would be more sensitive should I encounter a similar situation in the future. A lesson learned.

. . 

0 comments: